Today Ableton announced – much to the delight of the ever-growing modular synth community – that they will be releasing a set of 10 Max For Live devices that can generate or receive pitch, control, clock and trigger CV, designed for Ableton Live 10. The pack has been a collaborative effort between Ableton and the Berlin duo Skinnerbox who’s past Max For Live contributions like the Time and Timbre were very popular.
From Ableton’s press release:
“The devices send, receive and modulate CV between modular or other CV-based gear and Ableton Live 10 using a compatible dc-coupled audio interface. Live can act as the tempo leader in this kind of hybrid setup or follow the modular system clock.”
This pack looks to be a godsend for users looking for advanced modular integration with Ableton and shows real scope for scenarios in which people are using Modular synth rigs for live performances. We’re getting particularly excited about the CV Triggers device, which allows you to sequence modular drum modules from inside Live and CV Utility which let you use automation curves to control modules.
CV Tools will be free for anyone who owns Live 10 suite or standard and will be included as part of the Ableton Live 10.1 update, which to date has no official launch date and is currently in public beta testing mode. You can try the beta version by joining the beta testing group.
Here’s a list of the included devices:
- CV Instrument: Allows control of modular gear with MIDI. Features flexible modulation and voicing options, as well as cent-accurate tuning for oscillators.
- CV triggers: Allows musicians to sequence their modular drum modules from inside Live.
- CV Utility: Allows musicians to control their modular gear with automation curves from Live. It is also possible to add, multiply and shift control signals together and process control voltages like audio.
- CV Clock In: Allows control of Live’s tempo from Eurorack modules.
- CV Clock Out: Sends CV clock out to sync modular gear with Live.
- CV In: Allows signals received from modular gear to modulate parameters in Live.
- CV Shaper: A device for creating flexible CV shapes in Live that are then sent to a modular rig.
- CV Envelope Follower: Uses audio signals inside Live to control modular gear.
- CV LFO: Acts as an additional LFO source for modular systems.
- Rotating Rhythm Generator: A modular-style beat and polyrhythm generator. This device also sends MIDI for use with Drum Racks or other external equipment with a MIDI input.
Noisegate is proud to be an authorised Australian Ableton Live reseller. By buying through us rather than Ableton directly, you get to feel nice about supporting an Australian business AND get the world’s leading music-making software. Cool huh? SHOP NOW