Arturia have just announced the release of its latest “Brute” the DrumBrute Impact, which they describe as an exciting new hardware drum machine that combines raw, energetic sounds, advanced sequencing, and fast, fun workflow into an addictive little powerhouse you won’t want to put down. Here’s some of the details …
The newest member of the “Brute” analog hardware family, DrumBrute Impact really lives up to the name. Featuring attitude-packed, tweakable analog drums sounds, an all-new “Color” layer, output distortion, and arguably the best sequencer on the planet, DrumBrute Impact promises to redefine the way you create rhythm, drums, and percussion, both in the studio and on stage.
In the sound department, DrumBrute Impact features 10 fantastic sounds accessible through 8 responsive performance pads:
- KICK: pounding bass drum with nice attack transients and variable pitch and decay.
- SNARE 1: a big-bodied snare with great, editable snap and decay.
- SNARE 2: a trashy snare with a hint of clap, with adjustable tone and decay.
- TOM HIGH: simple but powerful high tom with sweepable pitch.
- TOM LOW: pants-shaking low tom that can get so low you could use it as a 2nd kick.
- CYMBAL: zingy, metallic crash with adjustable decay.
- COWBELL: a simple but effective percussive cowbell.
- CLOSED HAT: hard-hitting hat with variable tone that also effects the Open Hat.
- OPEN HAT: open up the hat sound with changeable decay with a mute controlled by the Closed Hat.
- FM DRUM: a percussive synth voice with adjustable carrier pitch, decay, FM amount, and mod pitch.
These sounds have been carefully crafted by Arturia’s sound designers to not only sound exciting and visceral, but to also create a cohesive “kit” sound that truly gives DrumBrute Impact a unique,inspiring voice.
To add another dimension to its sound, versatility, and sequencing possibilities, DrumBrute Impact also features a “COLOR” layer, letting you create dramatic changes to the sound on the fly. This can be activated channel by channel, or programmed using the sequencer, and generates unique tonal changes in the drum sounds. Add drive to the Kick, change the tone of the Cymbal, max out the pitch envelope of the FM Drum, “Color” gives DrumBrute Impact another level of creative possibilities.
- 10 in-your-face analog sounds: high-impact drum sounds, including a chest-pounding kick, two face-slapping snares, hi and low toms, a zingy cymbal, searing hats, a massive FM synth sound, and a cowbell.
- Powerful sequencer: 64 patterns with up to 64 steps.
- Polyrhythm: set unique pattern lengths for each instrument.
- Looper: for glitchy beat-repeats.
- Roller: add per instrument drum fills.
- Songs: chain up to 16 patterns, save up to 16 songs.
- Swing: add some groove to your rhythm, either globally or per drum.
- Randomness: add unpredictable variations to your pattern.
- Output distortion: rich, specially voiced distortion on the output to add some filth when you need it, and bypass when you don’t.
- Sync to anything: connect to practically any hardware or software instruments, sequencers, or interfaces with MIDI, clock, or USB.
- 3.5mm headphone output.
- Metronome: removed from the main output when headphones are connected, so you hear it and not your audience.
- Group outputs: 4 additional outputs to send the Kick, Snares, Hi Hats, or the FM Sound out separately for post-processing.
- Color: unique to DrumBrute Impact, “Color” can be activated per instrument, or per step. Color adds overdrive to the kick, make the snares snap and crack, and excites the hats, toms, and FM sound.
To help explore the new exciting features of DrumBrute Impact, Arturia have also created a 4-part tutorial series. These videos go over the creation of sequences, the use of performance controls, its connectivity options, and the sound-shaping parameters available.
Due to arrive in Australia at the End of July, 2018