British synth manufacturers Modal Electronics have today announced a new 8 voice virtual analogue polysynth that they’ve jam-packed full of features in an effort to move beyond what’s possible with analogue synths. Being fully digital, Cobalt8 features plenty of sweet benefits that only digital synths can provide however it’s the ‘extended virtual analogue’ sound engine that re-imagines what’s possible with analogue sounds. Cobalt8 features 34 different algorithms that take standard waveforms and uniquely morph and mangle them to create new sounds and textures that Modal say have never been heard before due to limitations of traditional analogue synths.
The Cobalt8 mirrors Modal’s Argon8 wavetable synth which was released in 2019 both in design and workflow and is available in a 37 key form.
Cobalt8 is scheduled to arrive at Australian retailers in December and expect to pay AUD$1399.
From the press release:
“Building on the tradition of warm and punchy analogue-style synth sounds, conceived by legendary synthesisers from the past, COBALT8 unlocks the full creative potential of analogue waveforms. This powerful, inspiring instrument reinvents the aesthetics of analogue sounds and invites musicians, producers and sound designers to explore a new era of virtual-analogue synthesiser textures, far beyond the limits of its analogue forefathers”
- True 8 voice polyphonic
- 64 high-resolution virtual-analogue oscillators up to 8per voice
- 4-Pole Morphable Ladder Filter with Resonance and 4 switchable configurations
- 3 dedicated envelope generators for AMP, MOD and FILTER
- 3 audio-rate LFO’s with tempo sync
- 8 assignable modulation slots and 4 additional fixed modulation routing
- Realtime sequencer with 512 notes with polyphonic mode and 4 recordable/editable parameter animations
- 3 incredibly powerful independent and user-configurable stereo FX engines
- Premium Fatar keybed
- Free editor software for macOS, Windows, iOS and Android
- Road-ready steel and aluminium enclosure