Just as many thought the world of large format consoles were finito, SSL strike back with the announcement of a new, all analogue 32 channel in-line console, reminiscent of older designs that put the company on the map. It’s called ORIGIN, and for good reason.
Showcased at AES 2019, the new ORIGIN console, as the name suggests is a tip of the hat to what made SSL a staple of many professional recording studios in the ’70s and ’80s. Fans of SSL 4000 series will rejoice at the familiar layout, featuring an E-Series “242” EQ section with independent sweepable HPF per channel, variable cut/boost per band and bell/shelf for HF and LF, classic SSL.
A new preamplifier design dubbed “PureDrive” offers distinct flavours from pristine, clean character or when “drive” is engaged delivers non-linear, transistor-based harmonic saturated goodness, very tasty.
The centre section features a well thought out modular 19” rack sized design. Add in some 500 series modules, or simply move the centre section around to make room for mouse and keyboard, DAW controllers or whatever takes your fancy and suits your workflow.
The familiar and very desirable SSL Bus Compressor is featured in the master section, with side-chain available, plus a high pass filter and insert point. There’s also two “listen mic” compressors available in the talkback/listen section. No individual dynamics per channel, which is reflective in the price.
There’s a lot on offer in this first new console from SSL in over 15 years, so needless to say, it’s turning heads. You can check out the official ORIGIN product page linked above for all the details. Key features listed below.
- 32-channel analogue in-line design
- High quality 100mm large and 60mm small fader on every channel
- 16+2 buses
- 4x Monitor outputs
- 3x Foldback outputs
- Acclaimed SSL E-Series four-band parametric channel EQ
- Sweepable HPF on every channel
- Classic SSL Bus Compressor with side-chain access, HP filter and insert point
- Dedicated channel direct outputs
- New PureDrive Mic pre & drive circuit
- New mix bus and mix amp architecture – delivers ultra-low noise floor and huge headroom
- Balanced Insert Point per Large Fader and Small Fader Channel Paths.
- Stem-ready 0dB fader bypass switch
- Unique power management tools deliver ultimate reliability and low running costs
- Freelance engineer friendly
- The adjustable centre section features 12U of rack space for:
- Software controllers
- Computer keyboard and accessories
- Additional hardware processing
- Dropdown meter bridge
List Price (US List) $49,999.00