Continuing their message of accessibility, Native Instruments have just introduced a pair of audio interfaces that will surely satisfy the needs of many bedroom producers/musicians and DJs, and also come bundled with an amazing software package.
The hardware itself has that signature matte black finish we have come to associate with the current generation of NI hardware – like the Maschine MK3, Komplete Kontrol and Traktor S2 & S4 Mk3. Each interface is identical in size with the Komplete Audio 2 being slightly heavier due to the different input and output configuration.
KOMPLETE AUDIO 1
- 1 x XLR input with phantom power plus 1 x 1/4″ instrument/line input for guitars or other line level devices
- Direct monitoring knob for blending output monitor mix between your software return and audio inputs
- Headphone output with volume control
- Large, easy access top-mounted knob for volume control, and input level metering LED’s
- RCA outputs for connecting to speakers/monitors
KOMPLETE AUDIO 2
- 2 x combo XLR / 1/4″ inputs for mics and instruments (global phantom power switch)
- 2 x 1/4″ balanced outputs for monitors
- All other features are identical to KOMPLETE AUDIO 1
For many people, these features will seem pretty stock standard as far as desktop audio interfaces are concerned, however, what we love about these interfaces is the small form factor, perfect for producers on the go or those with a smaller studio. Not to mention the premium 192 Khz 24 bit audio quality.
Both models ship with Ableton Live Lite as well as an extensive collection of software instruments and effects.
- Maschine Essentials – NI’s powerful sequencer, packed with sounds and samples
- MONARK – a powerful (and somewhat familiar sounding) 3 Voice virtual-analogue mono synth
- 3 STUDIO GRADE EX – Which Includes REPLIKA (a powerful delay plugin), PHASIS (a creative phase plug) and SOLID BUSS COMP (a punch compressor)
- Plus, and most exciting of all, Komplete Start
KOMPLETE START is a bundle of streamlined instruments, effects, sounds and samples from NI’s Komplete library, which in total is around 2000 sounds and 6GB of content. It’s actually free for anyone to try out regardless of whether you own any NI hardware. It features 6 synthesisers, 9 sampled instruments (including the amazing play series collection), 2 effects, plus 1500 loops and samples from NI’s most popular expansion packs.
In summary, these interfaces are a great addition to NI’s production product line with amazing audio quality and a comprehensively generous software bundle. Both models represent excellent value for money, but if you are looking at connecting studio monitors you may want to consider the Komplete Audio 2 because of its balanced 1/4″ outputs.